All content, opinions and comments are the copyright of Ken Dyne for him to store, distribute and laugh at!

Sunday, 1 February 2009

February 2009

KEN DYNE's INNER CIRCLE NEWSLETTER
- February 2009 -

--INTRODUCTION--
Well it's still very cold here in the North. It seems that this time of year if full of companies calling asking about availability, prices and for information. So it's nice to be sat here with the phone buzzing in the background - it makes me feel a little popular :).

This month we're talking about the 3 essentials in my marketing, what 2009 has in store with regards materials from me and reviews of a TV show and a lovely set of lecture notes.

--TALKING POINT--
Teaming up. We've been talking about it for months now and we've decided to make it official. Over the next few months you will be seeing the results of many hours of discussions, late sessions and intense workshops from myself and Colin Mcleod.

For those of you who don't know, Colin is a wee Scottish lad who's reputation in the underground mentalism scene is fantastic. His thinking devious and performances compelling. Together we hope to bring you some of the latest innovations in mentalism. So just as we love Becker and Earl, let me introduce you to Kennedy and Mcleod.

Why have we paired up? Great question. Colin and I think alike in so many ways, but at the same time we approach things in almost opposing fashions. We feel that by bringing these minds together we can achieve some really phenomenal things.

I have held a belief for a long time, that in business and in life you find what your 'gaps' are what you're no good at and surround yourself with others who are at the top of their game in these disciplines. This means that you can deliver the best possible results in life.

That said and done, we all have to remember that we're far from perfect at everything. It is not the inperfection that causes the problems. Instead it is the person not being able to admit their lack of ability or skill and then seek help. For example I know I am terrible at invoicing, chasing late payments and accounts. So in 2009 I'm having someone else take care of all of that for me. I've recognised it in myself, decided I don't want to be stressed about it any more and I'd prefer to have someone who is good at it, who enjoys it, to do it for me.


--BUSINESS--
This month I want to talk about what I call the Three Elements of Marketing. In the year ahead many full timers will take on additional jobs because many companies will reduce or simply cut their entertainment budgets. So our marketing has to be very focused.

What I consider to be the 3 most important elements of marketing for all of us are the people we know, our websites and our positioning. These three elements are what I am using to succeed in having a pretty full diary already for 2009. Let me explain.

If you get to know a lot of people, then your web is wide to catch as many people organising events as possible. Secondly if people are looking online (which many bookers are these days) then they need to be taken aback when they see your website. Finally your positioning, when they hear about you and what it is you do; you must be desirable and even hard to book. These three elements are very simple but with some thought they really do make a huge difference in your bookings.

One of the things I have worked hard at is how to get people to come to your website and get them to book you online. The secret I've been using is to write a blog. In fact I've just finished writing everything about how I write the blog, how I get more visitors more regularly and most impostantly how I make some additional income directly from the blog itself. If you want to see every detail, so much that the technically inept can do it then go to: Profitable Blogging for Magicians

--RECOMMENDS--
The only thing related to the world of mentalism I have been reading is Marc Spelmann's lecture notes. These are available directly from Marc. This is the lecture that got rave reviews in Vegas in 2008 and includes his approaches to the Bank Night routine which is think is a great take on Rick Maue's incredible idea.

Marc's watch routine I know is one of his most prized pieces and the full thing is tipped here with subtleties and all layed bare.

Not only is the material in there absolutely great but the production of the notes far surpasses most. In fact Marc himself comments on this in the booklet itself. Most of the time we are rpesneted with a bunch of white papers stapled together in one corner. (Note my lecture notes were referred to as a book due to their splendid presnetation ;)) Not in this case.

The notes actually look more like the programme you buy at the theatre. A full colour cover and great layout inside.

Very nice, I do want to see the lecture now though.

Also Over the past couple of week's I watched Derren Brown's latest TV special 'An Evening of Wonders'. I was gutted that I didn't make it to see the show live but if you're able to grab the TV special that was aired this week it certainly shows some great routines performed by the current master of mentalism. Watch out for the monkey!

I see that our masked magician is back on TV and this time is exposing some mentalism secrets including the nail writer. Just thought I would give you a heads up on that as it may be fresh in our audience's minds. He;s also exposing some nice old illusions including the impaled illusion which is a real shame.

--IDEA OF THE MONTH--
This month, yet another idea from my notebook. I wrote this back in November and have not yet used it. So it's not tested but still in it's raw state.

I spend a lot of time watching 'real' psychics in action, on TV, stage shows and even by attending spiritualist churches in my area. I remember watching John Edwards on cable thinking that I'd just love to have the guts, the sheer gall to go out and do what he does. No props, nothing at all just go out there and use language as the method for the mind-reading.

I's certainly not afraid of being bold but this task is a daunting one to me. My mind got to thinking about ways I could do it and reduce the risk somewhat. I think this would be a great opening to a show and am still building up the courage to go ahead and use it the moment I walk on stage.

It looks like this: The mind-reader enters the stage and after a few moments of self hypnosis, centering and going in to trance he appears to have bridged the gap between this world and the next.

"I'm getting three different messages, I think for three different people here tonight. They are almost pushing themselves forward, to the front to be contact their loved ones..."

The reader then relates a very concise, detailed description of the kind of person who is to be contacted, before moving on to a second detailed reading and a third.

"Now I realise that standing in front of a bunch of strangers is daunting for most people so all three of you need not make yourselves known but could at least one of you raise your hand to confirm that you do indeed relate to the vibrations I received"

After just a moment, a hand near the centre of the crowd is raised.

"Could we get a microphone to this lady. Tell me please, which of the three are you?" They relate their story back out loud.

"Thank you for sharing that, just confirm this is absolutely genuine, there is nothing set up here?" She confirms. Nothing was written down, they have never met before.

"I'd just like to say thanks to Julie, and the other two people, it is fine that you didn't feel confident enough to stand up in front of all of these people, but so long as you know yourself that is good enough for me. Give these three people a round of applause for their incredibly powerful minds."

As you can see this is just a dodge that allows you maximum chances of success. Instead of doing what the guys on TV do, you give three different descriptions which multiplies your chances of getting a response from someone in the audience three-fold. This little ruse also allows you to take credit for three times the amount of results, when only one person acknowledges himself.

What if no one raises their hand? Well my thinking is that it is most unlikely among a large group with three readings. However I'd like to make this as safe as possible. So in true 'psychic' style I'd leave a long pause for everyone to search deep inside of themselves for ways to make your words match up and then do one of two things.

You could have a stooge or confederate among your audience (if it is possible) and agree on an amount of time by which time if there is no reaction they will raise their hand and take credit for one of the statements. Then continue as before. The second option, which I prefer is to say something about recognising the fact that the people are, understandably, too shy and taken aback to stand. Which is fine, "but so long as you know yourself that is good enough for me. Give these three people a round of applause for their incredibly powerful minds."

Let me know if you have any further thoughts on this.

--TO CLOSE--
It's a heavy month with a lot of time on the road, so I'd appreciate your feedback and thoughts. Please do let me know if any routines or ideas that you would like to share in next month's edition.

Until next time, do take care!
Kennedy

"Do you have suggestions, an idea you want to share on the
newsletter. Email me info@mindofkennedy.co.uk!"

No comments: