All content, opinions and comments are the copyright of Ken Dyne for him to store, distribute and laugh at!

Friday, 2 January 2009

January 2009

KEN DYNE's INNER CIRCLE NEWSLETTER
- January 2009 -

--INTRODUCTION--
Hello and welcome to the very first newsletter for 2009. I hope that you had a really amazing Christmas too.

Before we get right in to this month's Talking Point you might like to know that I've set up a Facebook account for all my magician and mentalist friends, that way I can keep our secrets out of the public eye more efficiently. So please do search for me on Facebook as Ken Dyne I'd love to add you to my list of friends.

Before you do that - this month's newsletter reviews 2 great little low-priced products and talks about a strategy for surviving the forthcoming economy. This month's Idea is one focused on effective cold-reading.

--TALKING POINT--
A few things spurred this week's Talking-Point. A lecture I saw by the creator of Kokov, Jasper Blakely and something the owner of a bar said to me a little while ago.

In my act I feign a miss when it comes to reading someone's mind which I later reveal as a prediction to much greater effect. The way it looks is that I make it truly impossible, they think of any politician from any country and I will read their mind. I look at them, I build up the impossibility and then I say "who was it you were thinking of?" and they call out, for example "Tony Blair", "Shit!"

Is swearing acceptable? Is the word 'Shit' an acceptable use of language in front of an all adult audience? As you may know I don't perform any children's-type shows, my main audience is corporate, so all adult.

Jasper Blakely is of the opinion that in the right context, with the correct character you can literally say whatever you want. His Kikov character is such that he can get away with incredible levels of profanity. However someone else who saw my act said that I should 'be careful' of using the word 'shit' because it could cause offense.

My view is that not many people will take offense to words like 'shit' and 'bloody' but I am wondering if it is still worth the risk if you might still offend a tiny minority? Yes I have experimented with other words in place of the word 'shit' such as 'ow crap' and 'man!' but they don't have the percussive comedy impact of the 's-word'.

The use of language is an interesting discussion, I would love your opinion on how acceptable it is, your experiences and advice. Right now I am of the opinion that there will always be someone in every audience who is offended by you. Maybe by your words, maybe by the subject of your performance or even something as simple as your appearance. So I say give them the 'shit'.

--BUSINESS--
Its just been the busiest time of year for most people in the entertainment industry. People are wary as to what the rest of 2009 will bring in terms of the economy's effect on entertainment budgets.

I think I will spend a moment talking about the economy. Some people are under the impression that what we find ourselves entering right now is a temporary economy that will be here today and gone in a few years. Increasingly experts and clever people 'in the know' are thinking of it very differently.

This is a new economy. This is what it is going to be like. So we need to think of it in such a way. We don't need to stop doing what we do, we just have to do it differently to cope with what is happening around us.

I think we will have to become smarter when it comes to getting the word out about what we do and residencies and regular venues will be the key to surviving. Of course with regular venues comes a cut in pay per performance but it's worth it for the stability.

--RECOMMENDS--
Two things for yo0u this month. Magic to Mentalism by Max Gordon and Leading Reading by Luke Jermay.

At just over 50 pages, Max Gordon (Aka Dusty the Magician) has compiled a bunch of essays that were wrote not for formal publication but for sharing among peers and appearances in various magazines etc.

The subject matter is two-fold. Max focuses on his two primary learning experiences from his own life and relays stories and insights from personal experiences in making the transition from magician to mentalist. Here he looks at what he believes mentalism to be as well as what he will and will not be seen performing, his rationals and reasoning behind those decisions.

Max talks about his stance on the subject of playing cards in mentalism, a debate that every performer seems to have an opinion on.

Then Mr Gordon discusses the leap in to corporate entertainment. This includes discussions on what corp audiences like and dislike (in his opinion of course) and advice from someone who is obviously conversant in regular performance is a treat when it comes to things like contracts and technical insights.

He talks about small things that make a big difference, things like the right brand of microphone to use (although I actually disagree with his recommendations as Seinheizer are the only brand I would trust in a live performance. If it's good enough for the stars of the west-end then I want to be using it too.)

Overall it is a very nice book for any magician who is wanting to look in to mentalism. Its also a great collection of thoughts for any mentalist who is in search of more corporate work and wants to take a short cut around the steep learning curve of minor details that make a massive difference.

Priced at a phenomenally low $7 I think it's worth having a look. You can get more information by emailing Max Gordon directly.

As you'll see in the following section, I am a huge fan of cold reading.I've read everything I can find on the subject from Herb Dewey, Richard Webster, Ian Rowland, Brad Henderson and some even more obscure resources but this month I got my mits on the insights on the subject from Luke Jermay. His little booklet entitled 'Leading Reading' I picked up from my local magic dealer Magic Box for just £8.99. I wondered how good the content would be for that nominal price.

It turns out that Luke has overcome one of the great obstacles many slam up against when it comes to giving readings. 'How do you know what to say?' Jermay gives us readers a really useful anagram with which to progress a reading and a great memory crutch so we can talk about important things in our sitter's life. This is worth the price of the little booklet alone.

Published in paperback Id say it is certainly worth looking at this. Not only does Jermay look at ideas for cold reading but he includes a really great routine with which you can use to rehearse your skills and refine them. This is available from most dealers.

--IDEA OF THE MONTH--
Straight from my notebook, here is an idea if you want to make a massive impact when using cold-reading.

Cold reading can be used to enhance every mentalist's performance. In fact I think it is a great way to take a performance of mental magic and push it in to the realm of mentalism. The idea I have for you this month is one that could be a great opener. Granted I haven't used it but I think it has a sound grounding that could really quickly establish you as a mind-reader right from the moment you stride on stage.

Decide on 4 or 5 very specific descriptions of people. For example "I am picking up on the sense of an older woman who's hair was long and gray. She is allergic to cats and that is linked to her asthma attacks. Her name is linked with flowers and is forever being told that it's a 'pretty name'. The woman has origins in Spain" - that is quite specific. You want to have four or five of these memorised perfectly.

So you, playing the part of the mind-reader, take to the stage and use a line similar to, "Let's get straight in to it. I am already tuning in to the minds of a number of people. I want to start off working with one of these people. First of all I have..." here you reel of your five descriptions of the different people that you created. These are very specific so that general skeptics will not be able to fathom them as being simple 'generic' statements.

Immediately following these descriptions you say something such as, "I realise that some of the people who recognise and can associate with these characters may be shy, they may be intimidated but please I would love to work with just one of you so if you would please trust me and stand I would greatly appreciate it"

One person stands (maybe more) and you ask "okay of the five people I tuned in to this evening, which one do you represent?" And they relay to you which person they associate with. Now at this point it is important that you acknowledge the others who did not stand up "as for the other four, please accept my thanks for lending me your thoughts tonight. You all have very strong minds. For now we will work with this one..." and continue with your programme.

The idea of throwing out 5 specific descriptions like this is a way of maximising the chances of getting a very specific hit.Of course if no-one stands you just credit that to those people being too shy and then move on. You still apparently received the thoughts, its just that the people did not stand, so its the people at fault and not you.

--TO CLOSE--
A sincere pledge to a very successful and amazing 2009. I hope that you are more successful in everything that you do.

Until next time, do take care!
Kennedy

"Do you have suggestions, an idea you want to share on the
newsletter. Email me info@mindofkennedy.co.uk!"

No comments: