All content, opinions and comments are the copyright of Ken Dyne for him to store, distribute and laugh at!

Saturday, 1 March 2008

Your Inner Circle Newsletter - March 2008

--INTRODUCTION--
Well I hope that you have recovered from the shortest and
apparently most depressing month of the year. Valentines is over
for yet another 12 months and we can now look forward to a super
early Easter.

February has been my busiest ever in terms of performing as many
clients just seemed to have the right kinds of events to need me. I
suppose I got lucky, or did i? More about that in a bit.

In this issue of our beloved newsletter I am going to look at
network marketing and what that is all about, a new routine that I
think you might just enjoy and not one but 2 major announcements!
Pretty exciting times here at Kennedy Towers.


--TALKING POINT--
Let me get back on to the metaphorical horse of Dual Reality. Okay
the term was claimed by Kenton Knepper in the 80s and has lived on
to be what I consider to be one of the most useful tools in any
mentalists arsenal. You really can take an effect from being a good
one in to a rather miraculous one. The thing is, a lot of people
are afraid of it.

When I talk to people when I'm out and about, by email or at
lectures they approach me about dual reality issues all the time,
they ask me about Tell Tale Factor and other things but the
underlying commonality is that "you have to be careful of what
you're saying'.

It spins me back to being a drama student. I will always recall my
voice tutor Katerina saying that 'although we need to learn new
voice techniques and we need to use them to communicate effectively
we need to be careFREE not careFUL' and I think the same applies
with any double-speak or dual reality.

If it comes across in performance that you are carefully watching
your words then the illusion is somewhat lost in the same way that
if you put a deck of cards down on a table in an awkward, unnatural
way then suspicions arise as to how 'normal' it is.

The key to dual reality is to start gently, in the idea of the
month I am going to share with you a very small dual reality piece
that you can add to a routine you are probably already doing. The
dual reality is not the effect in itself but instead it gives an
additional impression of 'something' going on. Start small and
build up. I certainly wouldn't say jump in at the deep end and
perform a routine that relies on D.R. if you have no experience.

The key though, just like in voice work, is in making it look and
sound natural as you do and say it. Never be satisfied with the
script you are given, think of how you would say it, how you would
do it. Always making adjustments.

A great way of illustrating this is the change that happened to me
over the past year. Just over a year ago I was a very serious
performer, using correct grammar and nice long words. I was using
my Tell Tale Factor routine which relies on some double speak for
some aspects of it so the script really worked well. However when i
turned in to a comedy performer I had to totally re-write the
script for TTF so that it sounded good coming from my mouth.

The last thing you want is awkwardness. So rehearsing and playing
with the language is the key.


--BUSINESS--
What have I been doing? I have been networking. Network marketing
seems to be a fad at the moment. There must be a dozen network
marketing organisations in my local area all claiming to be better
than the rest.But what is it all about? Why does it work and why
should we care?

As we talked about in the past, people buy from people they know.
They buy quicker off someone they like. Network marketing is taking
place online and offline. It is basically a way of chatting to a
group of people who are all in business to cross promote each
other;s services. For example in a local group called DCM there is
a caricaturist, so he and I pass work between ourselves. Once a
client has used my services I tell them that next year they should
book Paul the caricaturist. Better still he does the same thing! So
that is doubling my market base. I am doing my own marketing and
so is Paul. But for every 5 clients he gets I get one too, at no
extra cost. The reason he promotes me is because I am promoting him.

This is where it gets really good. There are not just me and a
caricaturist in the group, there are around 30 other people there
too. Which means as they go about their daily work they are
promoting me to all kinds of people I wouldn't usually get in front
of. There is a solicitor who specilises in the sale of expensive
new homes. These people obviously work for large companies that
have large budgets, they need entertainment and Tim drops my name
in to conversation.


--RECOMMENDS--
What the hell have I been reading that I can recommend this month?
I'm racking my brain. Thats because it's been a while since
anything ground shaking has come to light. For that reason i have
to say that i have been re-reading Bob Cassidy's 'Artful Mentalism
of Bob Cassidy' and yet again I am left more inspired, feeling like
I know a lot more about mentalism and how to perform it. If you
dont already have it in your collection, get it. If you do then
grab it and read it again. I know you will find something earth
shattering in there.


--IDEA OF THE MONTH--
This month I am changing the use of this section. Usually it is an
incomplete idea for you to play around with, and one again thanks
for all the ideas and feedback, this month it is a complete idea
that you will use to gently ease yourself in to dual reality
without any fear that it could fail. Why? Because the routine does
not rely on DR we merely use it to enhance the experience.

What I'm about to share with you I have never published and it has
only been included in 2 of my live lectures.

You have placed a spoon in to a spectators hand and they hold it
with their fist clenched. You are going to twist it in their hand.
Of course unknown to them the spoon is already twisted and you are
simply going to make a display of it. But wouldn't it be amazing if
they could actually feel the energy surging through them? Its very
easy and I think you will surprise yourself at the reaction it gets.

The (twisted) spoon is in her hand. Your right hand holds the
handle and your left hand makes a dramatic motion, fingers spread
apart as though you are sending energy from your hand through the
air in to their clenched fist. Now as you play big on the 'energy'
hand you slowly twist the fork in her hand and say "i am going to
send some energy through your fist, it won't hurt but it might just
feel a tiny bit strange,' now you start the twisting with the right
hand and make your energy surge hand pantomime a dramatic action
'do you feel this?' they answer yes.

Think about it. They are saying 'yes i can feel you twisting the
fork' but the gathered audience presume (wrongly) that they are
feeling an energy surge.Now you proceed to twist the fork and
reveal it.

Not the effect itself so you can feel comfortable in performing it
because no matter how well the dual reality goes, the fork will
still be twisted wen you reveal it.


--TO CLOSE--
I did say there were 2 major announcements. The first one is that
very soon I will be releasing my very first DVD. We're working on
it at the moment and all I can tell you is that its mentalism with
performances and explanations of some previously published stuff
being done live AND some major items that I have been keeping from
you, simply because I'm still using them. Of course as members of
the Inner Circle you will not only be first to hear about them,
you'll have first chance to get them AND an exclusive discount only
available to you.

Secondly. I don't know about you but sometimes i get it in to my
head that I just want something new, I want to play around with a
new routine and I want to do it right now! Well with that in mind I
have been setting up a new Inner Circle sales page. I've teamed up
with lulu.com to automatically deliver all e-books right to your
inbox the MOMENT that you order them. That mean no more waiting for
me to get back from gigs to send you that e-book. Just buy and read
immediately. I haven't announced this to the world yet but you can
see, use and buy from it right now at
http://stores.lulu.com/kendyne .

Well that was a long issue and I hope you got a load out of it. I
am really enjoying sending these newsletters out and would love
some contributions too. If you have a routine, idea or something
you want to give us an insight in too, please drop me a line.

Until next time,
Take care!
Kennedy

"Do you have suggestions, an idea you want to share on the
newsletter. Email me right back!"

No comments: