All content, opinions and comments are the copyright of Ken Dyne for him to store, distribute and laugh at!

Friday, 1 February 2008

Your Inner Circle Newsletter - February 2008

--INTRODUCTION--
I want to start off with a massive THANK YOU to everyone who
emailed me and called me with their enthusiasm for the first Inner
Circle Newsletter. It seems that the content is what you are
interested in, a mix of business, routines, advice and puzzles to
get your mind whirring. Of course is you have more suggestions or
something you'd like included email me and I'll be sure to read it
over.

In this, the second issue I am looking at a marketing approach to
getting more gigs that I only remembered 5 years ago, one that
really has become a foundation of the way I keep myself busy. In
the recommends section I will be glowing a review of Michael
Murray's 'Between The Lines' and in this month's talking point will
continue to look at how we can cause you to relax about using dual
reality in both stage AND close up!

Sit back with your cup of whatever that is and enjoy this month's
ICMO Newsletter.

--TALKING POINT--
How much is your contract worth? I had a problem this month with a
client breaching their contract. My contract is iron clad, legally
its top notch. This particular client had booked me for 3 events.
Then before my second performance decided that they wanted to try
and negotiate my fee with me. This was AFTER they had already
signed the contract, agreeing to the terms.

In the conversation i talked to the representative of the company
and said that the amount still stood as it was already agreed. Even
though I'm not the cheapest act around it was not worth me taking
them through a legal battle to get my money out of them. So of what
value was that contract? Apparently nothing.

Its another hurdle that we have to cross as professional performers
who are trying to make a living in this industry. Thankfully,
clients like this are few and far between

--BUSINESS--
Years ago now I asked a full time worker for his advice on
marketing and what he said sounded a bit mad to me. He said that
the best thing I can do is to keep in touch with my past clients. I
thought he was talking tripe so didn't pay any attention to that at
all and carried on paying for advertising. 5 years ago I took
another look at my marketing, to be honest I had no choice I had to
do something as I was in debt up to my eyes and the magic,
mentalism and the hypnosis stuff I was doing just had to work.

I thought back to this guy's advice and thought I had nothing more
to loose. Granted I was still living with my parents so I did have
a roof over my head but direct debits for advertising were
crippling me. It was November and so I decided to send my past
customers something that was certain to grab their attention and
get them talking. Their first Christmas card.

Right bang in the middle of November every customer Id done any
kind of work for, even if it was a charity or advisory engagement
they would get a hand written Christmas card from me wishing them
well for the coming festive season.

It worked. Within 2 weeks, (as you know I'm impatient as hell so the
waiting killed me) I took on 5 new clients. Thats pretty good
going. Those clients cost me under £1.00 to get, consider the cost
of a card and postage, which is just amazing.

So I know it works, thats why I do it throughout the year as a
major part of my marketing activity. What's more because I'm not
selling to them, there is no message saying 'book me' or 'tell
people about me' they don't get angry when they get their card from
me, they don't see it as junk mail and so you don't get tarred with
the brush of a mass mailer. Add to that the cards are all 'hand
written' and personal they really enjoy receiving them.

As for why it works, its actually quite simple. People have busy
lives. So they easily forget you. Instead of letting your name fade
away as a distant memory get yourself in to a position where they
are constantly reminded (make sure they are reminded not annoyed),
so that whenever they talk to someone about an event they are
having they will think of you. Out of sight means out of mind, so
keep yourself in sight and believe me the rewards are phenomenal.

--RECOMMENDS--
I may be seen as bias when it comes to this one as I had a minor
involvement in it and thus have a credit for such but I strongly
believe that this is one of the strongest mentalism effects that
has come out in over 5 years now.

Michael Murray created a fantastically marked deck of ESP cards
called Beyond ESP where the backs were solid black. That couldn't
prepare us for what he approached me with a few months later. If
you see me at any time ask to see in my wallet and you will find
this piece there as it is a major part of my impromptu act. Its
called Between The Lines.

I ask a spectator if they have ever had the experience of just
knowing, just knowing something and they don't know why. It's like a
flash of inspiration. Usually they will confirm that this
experience is a familiar one. I hand them a piece of folded paper.
It's a page torn from a book. I then ask them to imagine a scene
and for them to describe the scene in detail including who is in
it, what they are wearing, the sounds and colours. They literally
say it out loud as they imagine it in their mind. Without any
gaffs, nothing written down they read the page from the book and
the scene they imagined is described on the very page they have
been holding.

This is not dual reality, there are no cards or any process other
than what I've just described. It really is a very unique one of a
kind routine that just blows people away. I was the first person to
perform this on radio last year for the BBC and the stir it caused
went on for a long while after. I can not recommend this enough.
And as ever I don't make a penny from it.

--IDEA OF THE MONTH--
Another incomplete idea for you to consider and I'd love to hear
what your thoughts are on this one.

Something from my note-book. Add a number is something I really
like and have had some fantastic reactions from when I used it. I
wanted to play with when the numbers were switched. So on stage
have 4 people seated. Have the first 2 people write number, switch
them out for 2 numbers you already know. Have the third person
write down her number and she in turn hands it to the forth person
to total up. You then read their mind as to the total.

One more thing is that you have the three people think of their
numbers while still seated in the audience. As they make their may
to the stage you quietly ask the third person what her number is.
So you know the total of the two numbers you will switch in, add
her number to it and you have a miracle. Or do you? There are a few
things to iron out but its certainly food for thought. Let me know
what you think and any further ideas you've got on it.

--TO CLOSE--
I cant believe its only the second month,. i feel like ive been
writing this for years. Keep your ideas, suggestions and thoughts
coming. See you next month!


Until next time,
Take care!
Kennedy

"Do you have suggestions, an idea you want to share on the
newsletter. Email me right back!"

No comments: